Thursday, January 22, 2015

Curing Writer's Block

Here we are, another Thursday and I have not prepared at all. I was going ahead and writing down possible ideas for a post when I thought, "Why not do a post on inspiration and writer's block?" Why did this spring to my mind? Because I was suffering from writer's block in my novel. Every writer, published or non-published, beginner or expert, does.

Inspiration is a tricky thing. There's no controlling it, and it has an odd tendency to hide when you most need it, giving you the disease commonly labeled as "Writer's Block". You'll find yourself at a temporary lull in the plot and no ideas of what to write next. So what do you do? Moan over your keyboard, begging some idea to pop to your brain? Well, you could do that, but there are better ways.

1. Open up a new document or flip to a new page in your notebook. Write down fifteen ideas, good or bad, for what could happen next. Make them as crazy as you want. Just pen them down as they race into your brain.
Once you do this, make sure to save it, even if all of your ideas are rubbish. They might come in handy, or inspire something later.


2. Consult your timeline of events. If you don't have one because you're a "pantser" like me, go ahead and make a basic one. What needs to happen in the story? Throw in something abrupt to get your character to the next milestone.
Timelines should be somewhat flexible. Mine has been changed, started over, and adapted a thousand times. But they are helpful, often too when the inspiration well is dry.


3. Skip ahead and write a more interesting scene. This is the first draft, so you can connect the dots later.
You don't have to write it in order of how it will appear in the final draft. I have a tendency to use this when lacking ideas. Write what comes easiest in your storyline. You can always come back later when you have ideas.


4. Sometimes, taking a small break will help. Let the problem sit in the back of your mind while you go about the rest of your day. Sometimes little things will inspire something in your story.
This is good idea, whether you've hit a plot hole or you're out of inspiration. A conversation with someone has solved the problem with me, even if they had no idea I was having that problem. Little actions, words, pictures, music, and books, have given me a solution.


5. Look through various writing prompts. Often, they will spark an idea for what comes next.
I keep a writing prompts board on Pinterest for times like this. If I come across something, I'll pin it, and I can come back to it later. Various writing sites have prompts, too.


6. Change your work space.
If you've been working at the same spot for a while and you're stuck with writer's block, move! Place yourself in a different area and keep writing.


7. Interview your characters. Talk to them; see what it is you're missing.
Your characters are a vital link to the story. Whenever I feel like I'm missing something, I just talk to them, making sure to write it down and save it. From your conversation, you'll be able to tell what it is they would really do next.


Here's a challenge. Whenever you encounter writer's block and a loss of inspiration, try one of these. Don't give up, and push on through. It will be frustrating, but I know you can do it! I'll try it with you, too. We all need to push past it, and here's our challenge!

 Challenge Acccepted meme

No comments:

Post a Comment