Saturday, January 17, 2015

Our Quote: R.A. Salvatore

If you can quit, then quit. If you can't quit, you're a writer. - R. A. Salvatore
So here we are, the first Saturday of my new schedule. (Taking a look at my schedule, I've revised it a bit, I'll update you on that at the end of this post.)

Back to the topic at hand, we've got a quote here from R.A. Salvatore. I have not read any of his works, interestingly enough, but I love this quote anyhow. Let's get right into it, shall we? Why do you think he said this? First of all, "If you can quit, then quit." This does not mean that he's telling you to quit. His meaning becomes more clear in the second sentence, "If you can't quit, you're a writer." If you can't quit, you're a writer. Does that mean writers don't quit? Yes (at least it should. :) ).

But I think it means something more. But let me begin by asking you a question. Do you like what you do? I'm assuming that your answer is yes. Number one, why else would you be reading this if you don't like to write? Number two, why would you write - or do anything - if you didn't enjoy it? Liking what you do, do you think you could give it up? I couldn't, at least. It is in my blood and in my heart. So, if you can't quit - meaning if you can't quit writing - then you're a writer.

Am I, or rather R.A. Salvatore, saying that writers are born, not made? In a way. Some, and I emphasize some, writers are born. Others come to love it in their own time. If you are meant to be a writer, but didn't love it from childhood or something, than our God will make you one. Simple as that.

I have been writing from my childhood. But only since late I have truly come to love writing. So you could say that I was both born and made. There's probably a bit of that in all of us. I doubt that anyone was truly born or made. If you say that you were a 'made writer', have you truly not enjoyed writing, storytelling, or doing some type of those two? If you say that you were a 'born writer', have you really loved writing all your life? Not from birth, but from a reasonable age.

Now, just one of these might truly apply to you. I can't say this about everyone, obviously not being good friends or having interviewed every writer and storyteller on the planet. But I'm almost 100% sure that a bit of these two applies to the majority of you.

Think about this. Are you more of a born writer, or more of a made writer?

I said that I would tell you the bit of the differences in my schedule. What I'm going to do is: the first week (this week, right now), we'll have the Saturday post. The next week, there will be a Friday post. The week after that, I'll do a Monday post. Each week, God-willing, I'll do a Tuesday and a Thursday post.

I hope that this helped you or interested you! Happy writing and God bless,

-Autumn

No comments:

Post a Comment