Monday, January 12, 2015

Point of View

So when I went to write a new post, I saw the title of my last one, Voice: It Needs to Fit. Guess what it made me think of. Yup; point of view, or PoV for short.

Now, prefer to write my stories in first person past. You, on the other hand, might prefer using third person omniscient. Or maybe even a second person present! Point of view is not the easiest thing to pick for your story. For example, it took me ages to figure out what PoV I should use for my current novel. First I planned it a first person past with one of my main characters. I got about halfway through only to realize that this wasn't right for my story. I tried the same thing, but with a different character who was just as important to the story. Hers is on a document on my laptop, full if lots if valuable info, but with a PoV that wasn't right. Then I tried switching back and forth between first person. All of these might fit yours, but they didn't mine. Finally I got it. Now I'm working with a third person omniscient.

*Those of you who didn't skip ahead of my sob story, I applaud you. :)*

Maybe for you, picking PoV is a cinch. Others might have the trouble that I have with mine. Sometimes, though, you have to step out of your comfort zone a bit to find the best thing for your story. That means different things for different people. *spoiler alert* You might have to experiment a bit!

Have you ever read a book where the author uses multiple PoV? That's another choice, in case you needed some more. :) Say you have three different main characters, and they all have an important part of the story to tell. So give them each a part where they get to narrate. This is more complicated, but oftentimes it is rewarding.

So, experiment! Step outside your comfort zone and write, write, write!

Autumn

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Here's a quick quote (just because I love things like this) :):
    All problems are illusions of the mind. -Eckhart Tolle
    For those of you who are having any problems in your writing. God bless!

    ReplyDelete